Heart attack OAP saved by perfect passers-by 093


By Martin Couper

A PENSIONER had a lucky escape after having a heart attack in the street – because three emergency service workers happened to be passing.

Marcus James, 73, was walking to a bus stop near his home when he collapsed and lost consciousness.

The frail OAP stopped breathing after the fall and needed emergency treatment.

And as luck would have it an accident and emergency nurse, an off-duty policewoman and a cardiac nurse were all walking by and saved his life.

Last night, Mr James praised the brave trio and said that angels must have been looking after him.

He said: “The angel of the Lord was there with us that day, I’m convinced of that. I’m so thankful to the people who stopped.

An off-duty policewoman was the first to attend to Mr James after she spotted him lying face-down on the ground in the pouring rain.

She began to give him CPR before she was joined by accident and emergency nurse, David Adams, 35, who had jumped out his car when he noticed the situation.

Mr Adams performed mouth to mouth while the policewoman pressed down on his chest.

The nurse said: “There was no pulse and no breathing at that point. I was wondering how long he had been lying there.

“I just wanted to give him the best chance possible before the ambulance arrived.”

The pair were then assisted by a Fiona Low – a cardiac nurse who was walking by.

Ms Low said: “We followed the resuscitation guidelines surrounded by a group of passers-by. I felt my knees were going to give up – but we certainly were not going to.”

Ten minutes later, a one-man ambulance crew arrived and used a defibrillator on the former special-needs teacher before a second ambulance arrived to take him to hospital.

And Mr James was quick to praise the efforts everyone who helped save his life.

Mr James’s frail health means he is usually accompanied by his wife and full-time carer, Margaret when he leaves the house.

Mr James had previously been admitted to hospital in 1999 for a quadruple heart bypass and then again in 2000 following a stroke.

Both Mr James and his wife are now planning to thank those who helped him survive.

He said: “We’ve written letters, but I haven’t gotten down to polishing them up and getting them away yet.

“We’ve told them we’re very grateful though. We know they’ve done a good job.”

Lucky Mr James added: “They did a first class job. I was well blessed in that they were there at the right time.”

Previous articleMice-infested hut for sale at £99,000 092
Next articleWorthless artwork captured by thieves 094