Women praised for rescuing neighbours from blaze


By Rory Reynolds

THREE women have been praised for their bravery after they evacuated a burning building as a fire tore through a ground floor flat.

The women went from door to door to get neighbours of the tenement block in the middle of the night after a chip pan left unattended burst into flames.

The occupant of the flat was treated for burns and lacerations after he jumped from the lounge window into the street to escape the blaze.

The 45-year-old was taken to hospital, while the occupant of the upstairs flat was treated for smoke inhalation.

The incident occurred at around 2.30am yesterday morning at 25 Elgin Street in Edinburgh.A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said: “A chip pan left unattended is believed to have caused the fire.

“One male escaped through a lounge window and was treated by our crews for burns and lacerations, until ambulance crews arrived.

“The male from the flat above was treated for smoke inhalation after smoke filled his flat.

“Three females from a top floor flat evacuated the building after they heard the smoke alarm going off on the ground floor.

“They went from flat to flat to awake others and got everyone out of the building before we arrived.

“It was pretty brave of them.”

See more of our pictures at our Flickr site and videos at our dedicated channel,  Deadline TV.

Previous articleChurch oppose tram plans
Next articleTrue extent of Blackburn’s evil revealed in letter