By Shaun Milne
A PENSIONER who died in a horrific house fire despite the heroic attempts of her elderly husband to save her was named by police yesterday.
Doreen Cree, 68, perished in a downstairs flat she shared in Dundee with her husband Rab, when the blaze broke out around Midnight on Saturday.
It was thought he had tried to fight the flames at the inferno which engulfed their home on Kenmore Terrace but was beaten back by the flames.
He arrived home to discover it ablaze with his wife trapped inside, and attempted to douse the flames by throwing buckets of water at them after alerting the fire brigade.
Fire-fighters using breathing apparatus then forced their way into the front room and recovered Doreen, but she died from heart failure on her way to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.
Mr Cree was left shocked, but uninjured, in the tragedy.
Neighbours said the couple had only recently celebrated their 50 wedding anniversary.
Investigations into the fatal blaze were still ongoing yesterday, with a Christmas tree and melted decorations still visible at their house.
No cause has yet been given but Tayside Police said a report would be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.
The fire was not thought to be suspicious.
Martin Tait, from Tayside Fire and Rescue Service, said the fire seemed to have been contained to the front room area where Mrs Cree had been.
He said: “Any death at any time of year is tragic, but at this time of year even more so.”