By Rory Reynolds
A DOZEN homes had to be evacuated in the middle of the night after a gas leak was found in a residential street.
Police went from door to door to wake homeowners in the affected area after a member of the public smelled gas.
Emergency repairs are now underway at a housing estate in Armadale, West Lothian.
Officers from Lothian and Borders Police evacuated residents of the flats sometime after 2.00am yesterday while engineers searched for the leak.
Scotland Gas Networks said that they have found the source of the gas and a working to resolve the problem.
Those affected by the incident are now staying in a local hotel or with family until the repairs are finished.
Duncan MacDonald, spokesman for Scotland Gas Networks, said: “There was a report of the smell of gas in Birkenshaw Way near Bathgate at around 2am.
“We went out to the site and as a precaution we evacuated 12 households from the area.
“We have identified where the fault is and are now working to repair it.
“Safety is our number one priority at all times and we are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
“And we are keeping in touch with all of the affected households.”
He added that Scotland Gas Networks had offered those affected accommodation in a nearby hotel.
Yesterday residents said that gas workers were using earthmoving vehicles to dig through pavement in the street to get to the source of the leak.
A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Police confirmed that they had assisted the gas board in moving residents from the affected area.