Cats rescued by firemen during top-floor blaze drama


By Christine Lavelle

FIRE-FIGHTERS fought to rescue half a dozen cats from a blazing top floor flat during a 2am drama which left their owner hospitalized.

A vet was also called to the scene at Springwell Place in Dalry after fire took hold in the top floor of the tenement building.

Rescuers, including six wearing special breathing apparatus, were able to lead the 31-year-old man living there to safety through the choking smoke and administer first aid.

He was treated at the scene for breathing difficulties and burns before being ferried by ambulance to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.

His condition was not thought to be life threatening.

Fire-fighters also managed to round up the cats which were kept safe until a local vet was able to check them over.

All were found to be safe and well.

The cause of the blaze was not thought to be suspicious.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “Six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using a hose reel extinguished the fire.”

They added: “We are keen to remind people about the importance of having a working smoke alarm in their home to give early warning of fire.

“If you live in the Lothian and Borders area you can book a free home safety visit and get a smoke alarm fitted by calling 0800 169 0320.”