Kitchen fire rips through house in Scottish Borders

0
2

By Christine Lavelle

A WOMAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a kitchen fire ripped through her home in the Borders.

The blaze started in the ground floor of the house in Heiton, near Kelso, at around 4pm today (Mon) and spread quickly before breaking into the second floor bedroom.

A 37-year-old woman managed to escape before fire fighters arrived, and was given oxygen by the crew.

She was believed to be the only casualty.

Firemen used four breathing apparatus and two high pressure hose reels to tackle the blaze, which was said to be “well alight” on their arrival.

An ambulance raced to the scene to treat the woman, who was suffering from smoke inhalation.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: “The woman was conscious when we arrived, but we gave her oxygen as she had breathed in a large amount of smoke.

“She was the only reported casualty.”

“The crew used four breathing apparatus and two high pressure hose reels to put out the fire which was well alight when we got there.

An spokesman for Scottish Ambulance said: “We got the call at 4.41pm and were at the scene by 4.44pm.

“The woman required treatment for smoke inhalation but she was in a stable condition.”

The fire crew was still tackling the flames at 5.30pm tonight (Wed).

NO COMMENTS