by Clare Carswell
TWO BOYS aged just 12 have been charged over an alleged attack which left an 11-year-old unconscious outside a school.
Lothian and Borders Police who investigated the incident which was claimed to have been filmed by pupils using mobile phones, confirmed today (fri) that the pair will be referred to the Children’s Reporter.
In a statement, a spokesman said: “Two 12-year-old boys were charged (October 28) in connection with an alleged assault on an 11-year-old boy on Craighall Road next to Trinity Academy in Edinburgh on Friday 1st October.
“A report will be sent to the Children’s Reporter.”
It had been claimed previously that the victim was chased by a mob of 20 children before being assaulted on October 1.
The alleged attack was claimed to have lasted for approximately four minutes until a passer-by intervened and stopped the assault.
The boy was left concussed and in need of hospital treatment.
He was taken to the Sick Kids Hospital in Edinburgh where he received treatment for concussion and bruising to his arms and torso.
The child’s mother described herself as being “horrified”.
It is understood a provisional place for the alleged victim has been found at another Edinburgh school.
In a statement, a spokesman for City of Edinburgh Council said: “We can’t go into individual cases but we take bullying very seriously.”
“All of our schools have a recently-updated anti-bullying policy in place so that pupils get the support they need and to ensure that issues between pupils are dealt with.”