Man taken to hospital following carbon monoxide alarm

0
0

A MAN had to be taken to hospital following possible carbon monoxide poisoning at his home in Edinburgh.

Fire crews were called to the scene at Castlelaw Crescent in the Bilston area of the capital by NHS 24 staff just before 1am yesterday (Tue).

The 45-year-old man had phoned NHS 24 saying that he could smell fumes in his home and to get advice.

After hearing his symptoms the operator alerted the fire brigade.

It is believed that the cause may have been from a gas heater in his home.

The man was given oxygen on scene at had to be rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary by ambulance.

A Lothian and Borders Fire Service spokeswoman said: “We received a call from NHS 24 who required the assistance of the fire service because of a carbon monoxide alarm.

“One 45-year-old male was administered oxygen and then ambulance crews dealt with the casualty.

“He was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

“The man had been using a gas heater.

“The fire service checked that there weren’t any other gas mains on.”

Carbon monoxide is known as a ‘silent killer’ as it is an odourless gas which you can’t see or hear.

Common sources of carbon monoxide in the home include faulty central heating systems, gas appliances and fires.

The symptoms can resemble those of food poisoning and the flu.

NHS give a warning on their website to those who suspect they have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.

“If it is suspected that you have carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, you should move away from the possible source of the gas so that your symptoms can be assessed.

“Consult your GP immediately if you think that you have CO poisoning. If you have mild CO poisoning, you will probably not have to go to hospital, but it is important that you still seek medical advice.”

A spokeswoman from the Health and Safety Executive said: “I can confirm that at present HSE has not been made aware of an incident. 

“If you have immediate safety concerns, or think you are suffering the symptoms of CO poisoning, turn off the appliance immediately and contact the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.”

NO COMMENTS