Freak accident leaves man stuck between fire and wall


A MAN narrowly escaped burning to death after a freak accident involving melting snow.

The 58-year-old had started a bonfire which melted the snow around him and soon turned it to ice, causing him to slip.

He became trapped between a wall and the fire, unable to escape the blaze.

The man, who suffered burns to his hands and back, was carrying out controlled burning when the incident happened at 11.30am today (Wed) in Teviothead, near the A7 road in the Scottish Borders.

Fire fighters rushed to the scene to extinguish the blaze and the man was treated by paramedics before being taken by air ambulance to St John’s Hospital in Livingston.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue: “It is not uncommon at this time of year that this controlled burning can melt snow which then turns to ice.

“The man slipped and was stuck between a wall and the flames.

“He was taken to hospital with burns to his hands and back, but his injuries were thought to be minor.”

Previous articleFamily feud erupts over Vicky Hamilton’s jewellery
Next articleNewspaper Headlines on Thursday 23 December