Man rescued after blaze rips through Edinburgh flat

0
2

HERO firefighters plucked a man to safety from a window of his blazing home early today.

The rescue crew scrambled up a ladder to save the life of the 35-year-old, who was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and burns.

The dramatic incident happened in Edinburgh at 2am after a chip pan burst into flames.

The occupant tried to shelter from the smoke and flames on the window sill of the first floor flat in Dumbryden Gardens, Wester Hailes.

Following the rescue, the man was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, suffering from severe smoke inhalation and burns to his hands and arms.

It took the fire crews just over an hour to extinguish the blaze, which caused extensive damage to the property.

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue said: ““We believe it may have been caused by a chip pan catching fire.

“One man was rescued from his window sill but no one else was inside.”

An ambulance spokesman confirmed: “One casualty – a 35-year-old man – was taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary to be treated for excessive smoke inhalation and burns to his arms and hands.”

NO COMMENTS