A franchise of an international sandwich shop, Subway was fined £4,000 after mice droppings were found on food (Fri).
Environmental Health Officers received a tip-off from a member of the public who spotted mice droppings on their way to the toilet in the Edinburgh store on Forrest Road.
During the inspection, officers from the Services for Communities found a huge amount of mouse droppings throughout the premises including on food and food packaging.
The discovery was particularly worrying as mice are known to be incontinent and urinate as they move around.
Droppings and urine from mice can harbour Salmonella and other food poisoning bacteria, leading to potential viral diseases.
In response to the findings the manager voluntarily shut the shop until the premises had been thoroughly cleaned and appropriate pest treatment and structural works were carried out.
SS North Ltd, the Food Business Operator pled guilty to two charges under the Food Hygiene (Scotland) Regulations 2006 at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on February 9, 2011
The charges related to exposing food and packaging to the risk of contamination due to an uncontrolled mouse problem committed on 21 January, 2010.
Councillor Robert Aldridge, Environmental Leader, said: “Residents and visitors to Edinburgh are entitled to expect the highest standards of food hygiene when they buy food in the city and it’s important for them to have confidence that they can shop safely.
“Thanks to the vigilance and hard work shown by our Food Safety Enforcement staff in bringing about this fine, we can send out a clear message to all food business operators that they must adhere to food hygiene requirements or face the consequences.”
Since these offences came to light the operator of the premises has changed and during a recent inspection in January 2011 high standards of food hygiene compliance were being maintained.