FIREFIGHTERS saved the life of a man after battering down the door to his blazing home as he slept upstairs.
Former accountant Ronald Hay is believed to have been minutes from death as smoke filled his detached home in an upmarket suburb of Edinburgh.
The fire broke out at around 4.30am today (Wed) in the first floor of the property in Belmont Gardens, Corstorphine and flames quickly spread to the roof.
Mr Hay is understood to have been fast asleep as fire crews smashed down the front door and raced upstairs to rescue him.
The 50-year-old was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene but refused to go to hospital, preferring to calm his nerves with a glass of wine.