Ambulance anger after curry competition ends in A&E

0
4
The curry house says its curry is made from the world's hottest chilli

A CURRY house is under fire after its ‘world’s hottest chilli’ competition backfired, landing two people in hospital.

Emergency services had to rush to Kismot restaurants’ curry-eating challenge in Edinburgh, after competitors started writhing on the floor in agony, vomiting and fainting during the contest.

The Scottish Ambulance Service today urged the Kismot restaurant in Edinburgh to review its management of the event.

One participant, Curie Kim, whose name is pronounced ‘curry’, was so ill after sampling the ‘Kismot Killer’ that she had to be taken by ambulance to hospital twice in a matter of hours.

She said she had never endured such pain in her life.

Today (Wed), the Scottish Ambulance Service said it wanted the restaurant to review the way the event was managed.

Paramedics attended the event on Saturday, the busiest day of the week for the ambulance service, costing the service several hundred pounds.

Participants were required to sign a legal disclaimer before taking part in the competition.

The restaurant claims the Kismot Killer is made from the world’s hottest chillies. Those who complete it are given a certificate and entered into the restaurant’s online hall of fame.

Two members of the British Red Cross were on hand, but they could not cope with the nature of the injuries sustained.

Kismot owner Abdul Ali

Curry house owner Abdul Ali was reported in a local newspaper as saying he would have to ‘tone down’ the contest, but said the challenge had raised hundreds of pounds for charity Children’s Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS).

Several contestants dropped out after seeing the first 10 diners vomiting, collapsing, sweating and panting.

Previously the restaurant’s Kismot Killer dish has been reported as causing diners to suffer nose bleeds and one elderly man to go to hospital.

Curie, 21, a Korean exchange student at Edinburgh University, came second in the competition, but she admitted the accolade ‘came with a price.’

She said: “I’ve always enjoyed spicy foods and thought this was for a good cause. But it came with a price, I had to be taken to the ERI [Edinburgh Royal Infirmary] twice.

“I first went to hospital at around 4pm and the second time was at 9pm. It got really bad. I have never endured such pain in my life.”

Curie Kim was hospitalised after the curry competition

Mr Ali said he felt the competition had gone well, but admitted he had overestimated how much heat the competitors could take.

Beverly Jones, from Newington, Edinburgh, was crowned Curry Queen after she managed to finish nine spoonfuls of the chilli-filled dish.

Mike Lavin, from Polworth, also in the city, came fifth, but he too had to be taken to the ERI.

The contest involves eating measured spoonfuls of curry with increasing spiciness in rounds. The sauce begins hot and gets progressively hotter.

A contestant can withdraw after each round, with the last person standing crowned the king or queen of curry.

Contestants who vomit during or up to one minute after the round are disqualified.

Local councilor Gordon Mackenzie branded the event a ‘shambles’, and said: “The owners owe a debt to the ambulance service and I hope they find some way of making it up to them.”

The ambulance service confirmed two people were taken to hospital.

A spokesman said: “We would urge the organisers to review the way in which this event is managed in the future in order to avoid another situation where emergency ambulances are required to treat their customers.”

Noone from the restaurant was unavailable for comment today.

Akbar Ali has previously described the fearsome appearance of the dish. He said: “To look at, the curry is bloody red and brown – it looks monstrous. Looking at it puts most people off.

“When you eat it you find sweat glands where you have never had them, like at the back of your ears.

“A vindaloo tastes like a chocolate eclair compared to The Kismot Killer.”

NO COMMENTS