A STUDENT union at one of Scotland’s largest universities was evacuated after a fire broke out on campus.
More than 50 firefighters were called to the James Weir building at Strathclyde University after the student president spotted flames while working in his office.
It is understood that the fire broke out at around 7.15pm in an area housing the university’s chemical and mechanical engineering departments.
There were no reports of any injuries following the incident.
Student Union president Charandeep Singh called emergency services after spotting flames from his office.
He told Deadline: “We evacuated the union as a precautionary measure. Around 150 students were evacuated within two minutes.
“I’m extremely proud of the staff and the fire brigade who dealt with the situation swiftly and calmly ensuring the safety of students. I will assess the situation as it develops with the appropriate people.”
A statement on the university’s Facebook page said: “All classes in the James Weir Building on Wednesday 8 February have been cancelled. This is due to a fire which broke out in the building earlier tonight.
“Students will have access to other University facilities as normal and we will keep you up to date with developments throughout the day.”