Toilet roll wedding dress caught in candle blaze carnage

Fire-fighters had to take care of the women after their toilet roll wedding dresses caused a small fire

A GROUP of women celebrating their friend’s hen do had to call 999 after one of them set a toilet-paper wedding dress on fire.

The group were partying in a London pub on Sunday when a small fire broke out.

The hens were playing a game which involved making ‘wedding dresses’ out of toilet roll.

One of the hens, who was wrapped in toilet roll, noticed that some paper on a table had been ignited by a tea light candle.

She leant over to put the fire out and the paper she was wrapped in caught fire.

The horrified woman threw herself to the ground and managed to put the flames out, but sustained burns to her chest and hand in the process.

A pub staff member rushed upstairs with a fire extinguisher and put out some remaining spots of fire on a chair and carpet.

Fire-fighters soon arrived on the scene and immediately began giving first aid to the injured woman, whilst they waited for an ambulance to arrive.

Two other hens also suffered from smoke inhalation and all three were subsequently taken to a nearby hospital by ambulance.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “There’s a serious side to this, candles can be lethal if you don’t keep an eye on them. Make sure candles are placed well away from flammable items and clothing otherwise the results can be catastrophic.”

The Brigade sent three fire engines and 15 fire-fighters from nearby Paddington fire station to the scene. The Brigade was called at 5.35pm on February 5, and fire-fighters left the scene just after 6.00pm.


Previous articleThug attacked woman on crutches
Next articleScots animator beats Rhianna to number one