Worker admitted to hospital after blaze in award-winning restaurant

0
1
Fire officers from Haddington and East Linton attended the scene after being contacted by ambulance staff. Credit: Kim Traynor

A RESTAURANT worker was admitted to hospital after a fire broke out at an award-winning Scottish restaurant this morning.

The 24-year-old male was taken to Edinburgh’s Royal Infirmary suffering facial burns, as a result of an oven fire at the Waterside Bistro in Haddington.

The upmarket restaurant, situated on the banks of the River Tyne, was recently Highly Commended as Family Outlet of the Year at a prestigious award ceremony attended by Denise Van Outen.

It was also a finalist at last years CIS Excellence Awards as Pub Restaurant of the Year.

A manager at the restaurant, who did not give her name, said it was an oven fire that had started the blaze.

She said the incident was now under control and that the restaurant was open for business.

Ambulance staff attended the incident at around ten past 10 this morning and a spokesman said a male was taken to Edinburgh’s Royal Infirmary with burns to the face.

The spokesman added: “It was an oven fire and no one else was treated at the scene.”

Fire officers from Haddington and East Linton attended the scene after being contacted by ambulance staff.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders fire brigade said:

“Four fire fighters used two breathing apparatus and a Co2 extinguisher to bring it under control.

“A 24-year-old worker was taken to hospital with burns to their face.

The fire was under control by 10.35 am,” she added.

 

NO COMMENTS