Five arrested over Glasgow football violence


FIVE Hibs supporters have been arrested following a brawl that left a man missing an ear.

The arrests were made today following the violence at Glasgow Central Station at around 7.20pm on March 10.

The football supporters have been returning from the Hibernian v Ayr United Scottish Cup tie at Somerset Park, Ayr.

The violence left one man in hospital  Photo:Edward

Six men, aged between 24 and 48, were arrested by officers at the scene and currently await legal proceedings.

The men arrested today, aged between 22 and 45 and all from Edinburgh, will appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Thursday, April 26.

Detective Inspector Grant Cathcart, who led today’s operation, said: “This was serious, violent disorder in which one man was hospitalised. The violence was so extreme that a severed ear was also found at the scene.

“Football-related anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated on the rail network and we will continue to work closely with all Scottish forces to take action against anyone who steps out of line and bring hooligans to justice.

“The vast majority of football fans are law abiding and a credit to the clubs they follow, but a small minority – like those arrested today – seek to spoil this good reputation and this is why both the police and the wider criminal justice system make such efforts to bring them to justice.”

Chief Inspector Denise Mulvaney from Lothian and Borders Police said: “The level of violence and disorder witnessed in Glasgow’s city centre following a Scottish Cup football match was totally unacceptable and undoubtedly caused disruption and alarm to the public.

“Today’s operation sends a very clear message that if you are involved in criminal activity before, during or after a football match, you will be identified and brought to justice.”

Superintendent David Brand, of Football Coordination Unit Scotland, said: “FoCUS will continue to support all forces across Scotland to tackle any violence or disorder associated with Football and we will not stop until all those involved are caught and brought to justice

Previous articlePlucked to safety from 1,300m peak
Next articleMan convicted of trapping owl