|

Woman hospitalised after coal fire in living room



A PENSIONER was hospitalised after sacks of coal in her living room were ignited by her fireplace this morning.

An 89-year-old woman in Ormiston, East Lothian, was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after the blaze broke out just after 4am.

Firefighters were called to her two-floor semi-detached house in Cockburn Drive, and the fire was brought under control by 5am.

The woman was alerted to the fire by her smoke alarms going off, the fire service said.

She was given oxygen at the scene before being taken to hospital.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said:

“The coal fire ignited bags of coal which were by the fireplace.

“The occupier was alerted by a smoke alarm.”

Short URL: http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/?p=49551

Posted by on Apr 30 2012. Filed under In Brief. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

*

Recently Commented

  • Father: Poor kid, :(. I hate it when it becomes all about everything else except for what the kid is going through. I...
  • richard: i cannot see how the management can get away with the very poor signage i would say its designed to catch...
  • PaulF: “Haggis is cheap, damn tasty, and very filling and nourishing” As and American who has eaten the...
  • Helene Oneil: Having read this article i wondered if this would go ahead in 2014 as i would love to go. My dad began...
  • Michael Cox: Do see a couple of disgruntled firemen on here saying these incidents never happen in the RAF Fire...