Dog finds venomous scorpion in Scots garden


A VENOMOUS scorpion has been rescued after being discovered by a small dog.

A quick thinking member of the public contacted the Scottish SPCA when his eight year old female westie, named Skye, made the unusual discovery outside their Hamilton home on Wednesday.

Skye’s cool-headed owner was able to contain the venomous yellow and black scorpion in a plastic tub with air holes until Animal Rescue Officer Ashley Griffin arrived.

The scorpion was discovered in a Hamilton garden

After being taken to the charity’s Glasgow Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centre at Cardonald, the creature was identified as a Florida bark scorpion.

ARO Ashley said, “The man who found this scorpion wasn’t fazed at all and was able to contain it without any trouble, which is pretty remarkable as I’d imagine most people would have panicked.

“Skye definitely deserves a lot of credit for alerting her owner as it’s a small scorpion which could easily have come to harm.

“Florida barks aren’t deadly although, if bitten, the pain could vary from that of a bee-sting to intense inflammation and sickness.

Skye saved the scorpion from getting injured

“They are used to heat so it would have been enjoying the warm weather we’ve had this week but wouldn’t have survived for long as the temperatures dropped at night.

“As they’re native to Florida and very common there, it’s likely someone has brought this creature back in their suitcase without realising.

However, the man who found it hadn’t been on holiday recently so we don’t think it has come from inside his house.

“It’s around three centimetres at the moment, indicating it’s quite young as an adult can reach up to four inches long.

“We’re hopeful we’ll soon be able to find this scorpion a home with an experienced and knowledgeable owner where it can receive the care it needs.”

Previous articleBrave move: Scotland map Disney work
Next articleStudent invents “time pod” to help stressed mums