Two Edinburgh women claim abuse by Jimmy Savile


ANOTHER two Scottish women have come forward to claim they were victims of sex attacks by disgraced TV presenter Jimmy Savile.

Two unrelated women from Edinburgh contacted Lothian and Borders Police recently, bringing the number of known victims north of the border to four.

Two women, one from Tayside and one from Glasgow, reported incidents of abuse to the police earlier this month.

300 people have claimed to have been abused by Jimmy Savile (Credit: Jmb)


The Edinburgh women say the incidents took place in the 1970s when Savile was at the peak of his career.

They kept silent for decades until the recent flood of allegations against Savile.

The first woman claims that when she was in her 20s, Savile made sexual remarks towards her during a meeting in the capital.

In the second case, the woman who was also in her 20s at the time, claims she endured a sexual assault by Savile and that he made inappropriate remarks to her in Newcastle.

Officers in the capital have now passed the victim’s statements, which includes an allegation of sexual assault, to officers in the Metropolitan Police.

A Lothian and Borders Police spokesman said: “Two disclosures have been made to Lothian and Borders Police, one of which was in relation to a historical incident in Edinburgh, and the other to a historical incident that happened in the Newcastle area.

“Full details have been provided to the Metropolitan Police and support is being offered to the women concerned.”

Savile has strong links with Edinburgh and travelled to the city at least every three years for personal visits and fundraising work.

The Edinburgh cases were revealed as detective began to search Savile’s Highland cottage in Glencoe amid fears that over 20 victims has been abused there.

The number of possible abuse victims has now risen to 300.

A spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Constables in Scotland said: “Lothian and Borders Police have received two complaints about the individual concerned. Tayside Police have also received two complaints.

“No other Scottish forces have received complaints.”

It is believed that Savile may have abused hundreds of girls and boys over four decades.

114 allegations have been recorded by police officers and 130 victims have come forward.

The alleged victim from Glasgow told police she was abused by Savile in 1971, when she was 13 years old and a patient at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Buckinghamshire.

On October 11 this year, the alleged victim from Tayside contacted police reporting an incident of abuse by Savile happening in the Liverpool area.

Peter Spindler, Metropolitan Police Commander has described the Savile police enquiry as a “watershed” moment in the child abuse investigation.

He said Savile was “undoubtedly” one of the most prolific sex offenders in recent history.

Operation Yewtree, the police inquiry, is looking into 400 lines of inquiry, ranging from inappropriate touching to rape.

It has been claimed that the Savile case forms part of a nationwide investigation with officers ready to make arrests after allegations that the TV star was part of a larger paedophile ring.