Hungry labrador runs up £8,000 vet bill after eating raisins


A LABRADOR with a habit of eating anything he comes across ran up an £8,000 vet bill for life-saving surgery – after he tucked into a packet of raisins.

Charlie – a five-year-old retriever – is known for eating all sorts of food, sticks and even his family’s socks.

But trouble struck last week when he got his paws on a packet of raisins after jumping up onto a kitchen worktop.


Katie with lucky lab Charlie after his successful operation
Katie with lucky lab Charlie after his successful operation


His terrified owner then had to rush him to the vets where she was told to expect the worst.

Thankfully though the inquisitive pooch has bounced back and is in “great form”.

Louise Middleton – who ironically works as a dietician – said she was stunned when her pet dog bounced back from treatment.

She said: “Charlie almost died and the specialists at Edinburgh University’s Royal Dick Vet School did amazingly well to save him.

“But the bill for dialysis, surgery, scans, drugs and intensive care came to £8,000.”

Charlie is still under observation at the veterinary centre but will is scheduled to be released next week with Louise’s daughter Katie excitedly awaiting his return.

Louise added: “He loves to pick up sticks but gets injured by splinters – at home we have to hide all the socks belonging to our children Katie and Ross because he eats those as well.”

The Royal Dick Vet School explained why Charlie nearly died from eating the raisins.

A spokeswoman said: “He developed kidney failure after eating raisins. Raisins, grapes, and currants can cause severe kidney failure in dogs.

“Initially, Charlie’s kidneys were not producing any urine at all so he was treated with peritoneal dialysis, allowing for clearance of toxic products normally cleared by the kidneys.

“After a few days of treatment, his kidneys began producing urine again. We are hopeful that his kidney function will continue to improve over time.

“He is a very sweet dog and has been a wonderful patient.

“Please keep raisins, currants and grapes away from dogs and if you’re not sure if your dog should be eating something then please check with your vet – there are many things that people can eat that are bad for dogs and cats.”

Dr Tracy Hill who carried out treatment on the lucky Labrador added: “He’s one very lucky boy – without the dialysis he would have died.

“But he’s in great form just one week later.”