AT LEAST 30 adults have sparked emergency ambulance callouts in the past three years – after getting hurt in children’s playpark equipment.
The Scottish Ambulance Service said it had 32 recorded cases since 2011 and admitted the number is likely to be higher.
The injury toll has prompted the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) to urge Scots adults to act more like grown ups in kids’ play areas.
Ambulance chiefs, answering a Freedom of Information request, said there were 12 callouts in 2010/11, 11 in 2011/12 and nine last year.
Incidents included several cases of adults having to be cut free from swings as well as numerous slips and trips as eager parents tried to keep up with their offspring.
David Yearley, Playground Safety Manager with Rospa, said: “It is important for people to remember that playground equipment is designed for children and is aimed at children in terms of size and the challenges it presents.
“Overly boisterous use of some equipment may also cause damage to the equipment, with the subsequent risk of injury to later user.”
In July last year an 18-year-old woman had to be cut free from a swing in Stenhouse play park, Edinburgh.
Edinburgh Council is urging adults to “avoid having a shot”.
A council spokesman said: “Whilst we all value retaining something of our childhood attitude, some people take this too far.
“Sadly, actions like this mean children’s swings are damaged which need to be replaced and this of course costs the council money.
“We would urge anyone who is larger than an average sized, six-year-old to please avoid trying to have a shot on the cradle swings.”
Similarly, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, who are called upon to assist in these sticky situations have reiterated the message.
A spokesman said: “Firefighters have on occasion been called to assist in releasing people trapped in children’s play equipment.
“Crews can use hydraulic cutting tools to facilitate release.
“However we’d urge people to use their common sense to avoid getting into this situation, since it diverts resources from life-saving emergencies.”