BY ALAN TEMPLE – Capital City Press
Arnaud Djoum insists he is determined earn a deal at Tynecastle beyond January after penning a short-term contract with Hearts.
The 26-year-old, who was released by Polish champions Lech Poznan in the summer, joined the capital club yesterday following a successful trial period.
A former Belgium youth internationalist, Djoum has vowed to fight for his place amid a plethora of midfield options, including Morgaro Gomis, Prince Buaben, Miguel Pallardo, Danny Swanson and young Sean McKirdy.
Providing he can cement his place in the Hearts side, Djoum is already eyeing an extension to his three-month deal.
He said: “There is always competition and I will fight for my place. I believe I can play for this club.
“I am aggressive and have good technical ability. I also have experience from playing in a lot of countries, I won the [Polish] title last year, and I believe I can bring something to the team.
“I want to win a further deal. This is a good club and I want to prove I deserve to stay here longer than January.”
Djoum’s league debut could come in the most daunting surroundings imaginable, with the former FC Brussels, Anderlecht, Roda JC and Akhisar Belediyespor man set to be added to the squad for Saturday’s trip to face Celtic.
However, the Cameroon-born enforcer is relishing the challenge.
Djoum told Hearts TV: “I am prepared for anything – I know that sometimes your first game can be your biggest game. It would be nice if my first age is against Celtic and hopefully we can get a win.”