Police apologise after posting gruesome fireworks safety picture

0
21

SCOTS police have apologised after posting a stomach-churning picture of a mutilated hand in a bid to promote safety on fireworks night.

The bloody image, published by Glasgow South East Police Twitter page yesterday (fri), showed bone sticking out from mangled fingers.

The caption read: “It’s all fun and games till someone gets hurt”.

But the picture was too strong for many of their 1,801 followers and was removed three hours after it was posted.

Glasgow South East Police 2
Police posted an uncensored version of this image which was removed three hours later.

 

One Twitter user wrote: “omg I wish my eyes could unsee that.”

Another commented: “If you want people to unfollow you, that’s how to go about it.

“No one wants to see this in their feed, guys.”

After the image was removed, Chief Inspector Graham McInarlin, the area commander, said: “We apologise for any offence caused by the picture.

“We were trying to drive home the message that fireworks are dangerous and can cause serious injury.”

Chief Insp McInarlin said that anyone wanting information on how to stay safe on bonfire night to go to www.saferfireworks.com/

The emergency services face a tough challenge every November 5 as a result of accidents related to fireworks.

Over the past five years more than 350 pre-school age children were treated in hospital for firework injuries in Scotland, according to the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

Last year, firefighters were called to 1,100 incidents across Scotland.

In the Drylaw area of Edinburgh, youths attacked police and firefighters with “industrial” fireworks.

A 15 year-old was injured in 2012 after a banger exploded in his hand at Motherwell, North Lanarkshire.

NO COMMENTS