Dunfermline defender Lewis Martin set for extended lay-off on doctor’s orders



Dunfermline manager Allan Johnston has revealed defender Lewis Martin is likely to remain sidelined for some time as he recovers from illness.

The 19-year-old has not played for the Pars since the crucial 2-1 win over Ayr United on December 12 after being floored by a virus.

East End Park 1000

The Scotland under-19 internationalist has missed the Fifers’ last five matches but any hopes the stopper/full-back could be close to a comeback have been dashed by guidance from specialists.

Johnston, who last week scooped the League One manager of the month award for December, said: “Lewis has been told not to train for a few weeks and to have a few weeks off. We’ve just got to take the medical advice on that one.

“He just needs to take his time and make sure that when he comes back he’s fully fit.

“It was a virus he picked up, so it’s just more of a precaution, but we have to make sure we do everything right and don’t take any chances.”