Jason Thomson and Iain Davidson set to pen new Raith Rovers deals

0
444

BY IAIN COLLIN – @CCP_sport

Raith Rovers have been handed a huge fillip with the news that skipper Jason Thomson has agreed a new two-year deal.

And the good news looks set to continue, with club stalwart Iain Davidson about to earn a new contract.

Thomson moved to Stark’s Park in 2012 and has again been a key player for Rovers this season under new manager Ray McKinnon.

Ray McKinnon
McKinnon is delighted with the business already done for next season

The 28-year-old has just returned from over three months out with a broken bone in his back and has been granted a reward for his successful comeback.

Speaking ahead of hosting Morton tomorrow, McKinnon said: “I am delighted that Jason has agreed to sign a new two-year deal with the club.

“When he was out injured I said we would offer him a deal when he was fit again and he came to me the other day and said ‘what about this contract’.

“He’s an influential player for us and it’s great that he’s buying into what we’re doing at the club.”

Thomson joins fellow defenders Kyle Benedictus, Lewis Toshney and David Bates in staying on at Stark’s Park for next season.

And they are poised to team up again with Davidson next term.

The 32-year-old, who has made more than 300 appearances for Rovers, returned to the club in the summer after three years with Dundee and is now due a contract offer because of a 25-game threshold in the current campaign.

Keen

McKinnon has also tabled a new deal for left-back Roy McKeown and is keen to re-sign attacker Aidan Connolly and keeper Kevin Cuthbert.

The Stark’s Park boss, who has lined up a wide-left midfielder on a pre-contract agreement, added: “Davo kicks in a new deal after he plays 25 games. That is great news as he has been brilliant.

“So, it is great to have Davo, Benny, Tosher, Mark Stewart and Batesy all tied up. We are in great shape for next season.”

Meanwhlie, Raith have hit back in the squabble over Livingston being locked out of their dressing-room at half-time at Stark’s Park on Saturday.

The Lions released a statement earlier this week claiming the five-minute delay to the second-half of their 2-0 defeat against Rovers had been caused by Raith being unable to find the key.

However, Rovers chief executive Eric Drysdale said: “The explanation given by Livingston is not actually what happened.

“Quite simply, an unstripped member of the Livingston party seems to have snibbed both away dressing room doors five minutes before half-time so they couldn’t be opened from the outside.”

@IainCollin

NO COMMENTS