A HORRIFIED Scot got more toppings on his Subway sandwich than he bargain for – when he found a gigantic earwig.
Dean Mclernon, from Dundee, was enjoying a lunchtime snack yesterday (MON) when he came across the unwanted intruder.
He had already eaten most of his sandwich, bought from Subway’s in Westhill, Aberdeenshire, when he noticed a large black mass embedded in the loaf.
And upon closer inspection he realised he had almost eaten a giant earwig.
Dean shared a photograph of the offending sandwich on Facebook, and wrote: “Just as well I noticed this. Absolutely disgusting.
“Fair to say I’ll never be eating at Subway again.”
He later added: “Put off for life now. Dead insects in the food, shocking. Clearly not a very well caring business.”
The gruesome photograph was shared almost 3,000 times in less than 24 hours, by Scots who condemned the popular sandwich chain.
Stewart Robertson said: “I thought I had to go all the way to Thailand to eat insects. Cool I can get them in Subway in Aberdeen.”
Alison Hay wrote: “I hate earwigs at the best of times but to hell with getting one on my sandwich.”
Nauris Langbergs joked: “Good source of protein.”
A spokesman for Subway was quick to comment on the photograph, and asked Dean to provide further details so they could look into the incident.
It is not believed Dean has heard back from the company yet.
When contacted, a spokeswoman for Subway said: “We are sorry to hear about this customer’s experience.
“We have very strict procedures in place to ensure that our stores, which are all operated by franchisees, serve products safely and to customers’ satisfaction.
“We are liaising with the franchisee regarding this incident and will take necessary action.”
It is not the first time unwanted toppings have made their way into Subway sandwiches.
Last year, a man in Oregon, USA found a dead mouse in his Italian Sub.
And an Indian man was shocked to find a worm staring back at him as he was about to tuck into a Subway sandwich in Hyderabad, India.