Child care worker who spat in face of paramedic allowed to keep her job


A CHILD care worker who kicked, punched and spat on a paramedic has been allowed to keep her job.

Lesley Geddes launched an attack on a paramedic who was responding to emergency circumstances in August 2014.

The man was trying to assist a drunk woman when Ms Geddes spat in his face and assaulted him.

Her behaviour was so erratic that colleagues called an ambulance because they were concerned for her health and safety.


sssc edit
Lesley Geddes has been allowed to keep her job


She was hauled in front of the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) for her actions, which “called into question her suitability to work in social services”.

But she was let off with just a nine month warning – meaning she will be able to return to work and look after young children.

At the hearing, which took place in Dundee at the end of last month, Ms Geddes faced just one charge.

It read: “On 30 August 2014 at [location redacted] you did assault, obstruct or hinder AA, a paramedic, then responding to emergency circumstances of an intoxicated female and did punch and kick him on the body and spit on his face”.

The charge continues that her actions are “contrary to the Emergency Workers (Scotland) Act 2005, Section 2(1).”

The act states that “a person who assaults, obstructs or hinders another while that other person is…responding to emergency services, commits an offence”.

It is not known where Ms Geddes works, but the decision notice, posted online, states that Glasgow is her most recent town of employment.

It also details that she is employed as a “Support worker in day care of children service”.

The SSSC panel ruled that her behaviour represented a “loss of self-control” that was “likely to cause fear and alarm to members of the public”.

They added that her actions “put other people at unnecessary risk”, which breached the social services Code of Practice.

Panel members also took into account factors in her favour, which include a previous good history with her employer and showing good insight into the serious nature of the incident.

Staff members present during the evening also described her behaviour as being “out of character” and called an ambulance because there was “genuine concern for her general health and wellbeing”.

The panel ruled that the most appropriate sanction would be a nine-month warning placed on Ms Geddes’ registration.

Ms Geddes admitted the charge she faced and consented to the imposition of a warning.