Couple whose wedding was abandoned after ceiling collapse now stranded on honeymoon


A NEWLYWED couple whose big day was spoiled when a hotel ceiling collapsed have now been left stranded on their honeymoon.

Keith and Sharon Clark’s rotten luck continued after they were caught up in the chaos caused by the collapse of tour operator, Low Cost Holidays.

The firm went bust last Friday which left the couple from Dundee in the lurch as they turned up their hotel in Malta to be told that their names were nowhere to be seen on the booking list.

The Clarks endured a “nightmare” wedding after they were evacuated from the Queen’s Hotel in Dundee when a section of the ceiling collapsed.

They were enjoying their wedding reception alongside fellow newlyweds, Gary and Emily Parkin, when the ceiling caved in, leaving Mr Parkin’s brother and best man with concussion.

Keith and Sharon jetted off to Malta the next day, thinking they had left their bad luck in Scotland, however, it is thought Low Cost Holidays went into administration before confirming the booking.

They’ve now been forced to use their spending money to cover the costs of alternative accommodation and food.

Mr Clark, 50, who works offshore for BBI International, admitted he couldn’t believe that the couple’s bad luck had followed them abroad.

He said: “We were not expecting our bad luck to follow us to Malta. We walked up to reception to check in and they told us that our names weren’t registered at the hotel.

““We panicked and didn’t know what to do. It was a nightmare wedding followed by another nightmare scenario on our honeymoon.

““We thought our bad luck would have ended when we got to Malta but it wasn’t the case.”

He continued: “After what happened at the weekend, this is just the icing on the cake. We were absolutely unaware of what had happened to Low Cost Holidays.

“We thought our bad luck would have ended when we got to Malta but it wasn’t the case.

“Now, we have found another place to stay and are committed to enjoying the rest of our honeymoon. We’ll just have to scrimp and save until next Tuesday when we come home.”

Finbarr O’Connell and Henry Shinners from the Low Cost Holidays administrators Smith & Williamson said: “We currently believe there are around 140,000 customers who have lost out.

“It is only once claims are finalised that a specific figure for the compensation available to individual holidaymakers will become evident.

“It does seem that the amount of compensation for holidaymakers from this source will, very unfortunately, prove to be negligible.”

It has emerged that holidaymakers who have had their holidays ruined by the collapse of the company may only receive a paltry £7.78 each in compensation.

The firm was not registered with the government backed Atol scheme, which would have ensured customers were compensated in full.

They went bust last week, leaving 27,000 customers abroad and 110,000 with future bookings.