Former Rangers forward Vladimir Weiss recalled to Slovakia squad following run-in with police

0
81

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Former Rangers forward Vladimir Weiss has vowed to repay head coach Jan Kozak’s faith in him after being recalled to the Slovakia squad.

The 26-year-old was dropped from last month’s 3-0 victory over Scotland after a run-in with police just days before the crucial World Cup qualifying Group F clash.

Weiss, who now plies his trade at Qatari side Al Gharafa, reportedly refused to undergo a breathalyser and blood test during a roadside check in Bratislava.

(Pic: Alasdair Middleton)
(Pic: Alasdair Middleton)

The 56-times capped player has again pleaded his innocence in a message on social media and insists he is determined to make the most of his inclusion in the squad ahead of next Friday’s visit of Lithuania.

Weiss said: “I will do everything I can to repay the trust of the coach and show that this incident was a lesson for me. I want to bring joy to my family and especially the fans.

“I want to once again publicly apologise to everyone, especially my family, loved ones and the national team if they were affected by my inappropriate behaviour.

“But I want to emphasize that I did not commit any crime. There is evidence that will be provided to investigators in order to assist the process and confirm my innocence.”

Slovakia head coach Kozak said: “A month has passed since the incident. He is playing at his club and is playing well. On that basis, that’s why he has been included.”

Weiss made 35 appearances for Rangers on loan from Manchester City during the 2010/11 campaign and helped the Ibrox club win the SPL and League Cup.

He moved to Spanish side Espanyol on a temporary deal the following season and has also turned out for Italian side Pescara, Olympiacos of Greece and Qatari outfit Lekhwiya since leaving City.

NO COMMENTS