Anger as three primary pupils, aged 5, wander off from school


PARENTS are demanding answers after three five-year-olds slipped away from school and wandered busy streets for 30 minutes.

Police were alerted after it was discovered the trio had gone missing from Valley Primary in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

But the youngsters – who had crossed one of the town’s biggest and busiest roundabouts – were found when they called at the home of a stranger and asked to use the toilet.

The three wandered out of an unattended open door at the school without their escape being spotted by staff.

Kimberley Ramsay, mother of one of the boys, Calvin Barker, is furious at the school and demanding answers to how her son was allowed to leave school premises in the first place.


The three primary pupils wandered off


She told her local newspaper today she only discovered he was missing when she turned up in the afternoon to collect him.

She said: “As I was going in, the deputy head said ‘I need to speak to you, Calvin’s gone missing and we think he’s hiding with two other children.’

“They said he hadn’t been seen since 1.25pm. I was frantic. I asked them why hadn’t they phoned me or phoned the police? I phoned 999.

Police officers called Miss Ramsay back, twenty minutes later telling them the children had been found – an hour and five minutes after they were last accounted for.

Miss Ramsay added: “A man took them in and gave them juice and a biscuit, and phone the police.

“I want to thank him so much, He will never realise how much I appreciate what he did, for doing the right thing. Some men would have been frightened.

“No one from the school has apologised to me. They made it out the children had simply left the school.

“An isolated incident? I don’t think so. I posted a message on Facebook and another parent said that their child had been found outside school grounds on three occasions last week.

“That door was left unattended do anybody could have gotten out or gotten in.

“To be told your child is missing is the scariest thing a parent has to hear.”

Jacqueline Price, acting head of Education and Children’s Services, said: “As soon as the school became aware of this, the school building and grounds were searched.

“When they were not found, the police were contacted. The children were quickly located in the local area and brought back to school.

“Any lessons learnt from this incident will be shared across all establishments.

The headteacher has spoken with all of the parents involved and is working to reassure them, and the school community.

“The safety and security of our children is our top priority and we apologise for any distress caused by this incident.”