Devoted wife refused to leave burning home because she thought her “soulmate” was still inside

0
32

A GRIEVING Scot has revealed that her mother died in a house fire because she refused to leave her “soulmate” who she believed was trapped inside.

Melissa Shaw described the tragic incident on Friday which resulted in the death of her beloved mother Gail Lamb as a “tragic love story”.

Gail, 55, stayed in her burning house in Saline, Fife, on Friday night, because she thought husband Derek was still inside.

But Derek, 62, had already escaped the inferno through the back of the house – unbeknown to his devoted wife.

Neighbours tried to save Gail by climbing up a ladder to the top floor of their two-story house but she refused to leave, saying: “Where is Derek?”

Melissa Shaw described the tragic incident on Friday which resulted in the death of her beloved mother Gail Lamb as a “tragic love story”.

Speaking to a local newspaper today, Melissa, 35, said: “It’s like a tragic love story.

“My mum and Derek were just made for each other and idolised each other.”

Neighbour Shelley White said: “I saw the fire and ran outside but by this time my neighbours had already rung the emergency services.

“You could feel the heat from the house and the smoke was immense.”

“Our neighbour, Sid, grabbed Gail’s hand from the top of the ladders and told her to get out but all she said was: ‘Where is Derek?’

“She went back into the house looking for him but Sid managed to grab her hand for a second time and he was just screaming at her to get out but she wouldn’t leave Derek.

“There was nothing we could do, the fire was too bad.”

Derek and Gail had been together for nearly 30 years before a horrific fire broke out at their home on Friday night.

Neighbours tried to save Gail by climbing up a ladder to the top floor of their two-story house but she refused to leave, saying: “Where is Derek?”

The blaze is believed to have started from an electrical appliance in the kitchen downstairs.

The couple were both in bed asleep at the time of the fire, when Gail woke up first.

Both exits of the house were completely blocked by fire so Gail screamed for help at the front of the building while Derek shouted at the back.

Derek then managed to escape through the back of the the property but had said that he couldn’t see a thing and he had “no idea” where Gail was.

Gail was later pronounced dead at the scene.

Since the incident, Derek has told family members telling family members that he has lost his “soulmate”.

Tributes of flowers have been left outside Gail and Derek’s home in Saline since the fire.

A GoFundMe page has also been set up for the family by Laura Chesby, where £3900 has currently been raised.

The page read: “Help support Gail Lamb’s family.

“On Friday evening a horrendous fire claimed the life of Gail Lamb.

“Family, friends and the community are devastated by what’s happened.

“If anyone is able to make a donation to help the family at this awful time it would be appreciated.”

The GoFundMe page can be found at: https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-gail-lambs-family

NO COMMENTS