A HOLIDYMAKER has shared revolting pictures showing how she was eaten alive by bed bugs at a five star hotel.
Lynsey MacGregor said she slept fully-clothed because she was so terrified of being devoured by the critters at the Cape Verde resort.
But when she and husband Garry complained, TUI refused compensation and reminded them: “Insects are an inevitable product of hotter climates.”
The couple, from Wick, Caithness, paid an estimated £3,000 for the 10-day, all-inclusive stay at the “platinum” Melia Dunas Resort off the west coast of Africa in January.
Lynsey decided to go public because she was so unhappy with TUI’s response, writing on social media: “We had a great holiday until the last two days when these lumps/welts appeared on my skin. Some going into small blisters.
“After speaking to some other guests after they commented on how bad my bites looked, they told me they had met others with similar to mine too.
“The lines and clusters are consistent with bed bugs, add to that the blood and dark specs on sheets along with delay in marks appearing, all signs of bed bugs.”
She added: “Melia Dunas man at the joining desk basically said we were lying as hotel has never had bed bugs.
“They said room would be checked and sprayed that afternoon but when we returned to our room at 6pm nothing had been moved/checked/sprayed.
“That night we had to sleep with full clothing on in fear of being bitten further.”
Images show Lynsey to be covered in large lumps across her body.
Her arms appear to have large red lumps, from her shoulder right down to her hands.
Lynsey also has more than ten spots across her chest and up to her shoulder.
Aislinn Henderson responded online: “Yuck!”
Sue Armstrong-Huntley commented: “Such a shame this has happened to you both looks horrific and for sure bed bugs.”
Ag Mackay said: “My cousin and his wife booked through Tui and not only did they demand a different hotel but a different resort!
“The Reps were disinterested and they will never book with Tui again.
“Once they eventually got shifted it was great but they were originally in a hovel. So disappointing when you put your faith in tour companies.”
A letter from Tui on Monday stated: “There are many advantages to visiting a country with a hotter climate, but we also accept that not all experiences can be pleasant.
“Insects are an inevitable product of hotter climates and although they affect people to different degrees, it is almost impossible to eradicate them altogether.
“Although these insects are a nuisance, it is important to remember their presence does not mean the accommodation or the resort area is either dirty or poorly maintained.
“Many accomodation owners will actually arrange for rooms to be fumigated at times when the complex is closed, but this is never guaranteed to solve the problem entirely.
“I know that the slight presence of such insects can be alarming to many people and we hope that this did not affect the enjoyment of your holiday too much.”
TUI apologised for the incident and said they will contact the MacGregors.
A spokeswoman said: “We are very sorry to hear of Mr and Mrs MacGregor’s experience in Cape Verde.
“We will be in contact with them to discuss the matter. We would like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all hotels we feature in terms of health and safety, including hygiene.”