For many people, the ultimate road trip destination is the US because there are so many amazing routes to choose from with an abundance of attractions and landmarks along the way. Whether you fancy a coastline road trip, or to go from coast-to-coast across the mainland, there are some breathtaking, once-in-a-lifetime routes for you to choose from. Here is our best selection:
- Route 66 – The most famous road trip route of all time, Route 66 is so well-known across the world that it is even used on t-shirt designs across the globe. This route originally covered just under 2,500 miles running from Chicago to Santa Monica. However, the route has been adapted from the original but it is still very impressive. Route 66 will take you through Chicago, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and finishes up in Santa Monica.
- Interstate 10 – The most southern coast-to-coast route, Interstate 10 covers off a number of amazing places starting on the California coast then following onto Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama before ending at Jacksonville in Florida. If you like to visit the places with warmer climates then a southern route like this is your better option.
- California State Route 1 – The west coast of the US is stunning and this route will take you through all of the best bits. Starting off in San Diego, you then pass through LA, Long Beach, Santa Monica, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Big Sur, San Francisco and the Point Reyes National Seashore. It is a truly incredible road trip route with some unforgettable sights and experiences.
- Route 20 – Another coast-to-coast option, this is a pretty long road trip that spans over 3,000 miles and includes places like New York, Atlantic City, New Jersey, Nevada and some of the other most iconic cities of the US. Stop off in Vegas, do the sightseeing in NYC, this trip has everything you need for the ultimate road trip in the US.
- Best of Colorado – If you are looking for something a bit shorter but still as epic, a Colorado road trip will tick those boxes for you. You can take in views of the Rockies, as well as heading into the desert to experience two very different aspects of the US. There are a number of great national parks to stop off at as well and Glenwood Springs is a good place to visit.
There are so many different types of routes that you can take through US for a road trip that the difficult part is choosing one route. Before you plan your trip, you need to be aware of the travel authorization that you require to visit the US. If you are going for a trip of no longer than 90 days then you can apply for ESTA America, which gives you the sufficient permission to cross the US border.
Applying for an ESTA is simple, through an online form that takes just minutes to complete. If you are thinking of moving from UK to USA then you will require a more permanent type of visa, as the ESTA only allows you to stay for up to 90 days per trip.
When you are planning your road trip, make sure that you take into account what the different weather will be like as you go from state to state and also check the local state laws, as they can differ from one to the next.