AN architect has claimed her five star TUI hotel in Greece was so bad it would be “condemned” in this country.
Nuala Finch and her family spent £5,300 on their break in Kos and were shocked by numerous examples of faulty electrics, one of which melted a plug.
The family from Hull took shocking pictures of the faults as well as images showing dirty and torn bedding and the “filthy” swimming pool.
TUI’s brochure snaps of the Dimitra Beach Resort show a stunning environment with crisp, white rooms and public areas contrasted against the blue of the pool, sea and sky.
But the same hotel was in the news earlier this week when a family claimed a “chemical imbalance” in the pool had turned their hair green and dried out their skin.
Nuala, 45, flew from London Gatwick to Kos on July 17 for two weeks accompanied by her husband, Gary, 51, and their two children, Jack, 8, and James, 11.
A video shows the hair dryer shorting out every couple of seconds with Nuala having to push the socket back in to get it up and running.
They decided to buy a new adapter for the socket, which resulted in it smouldering.
They even had exposed “live wires” and an apparently live socket which has lost its cover late.
Other images taken by Nuala show their room had stained mattresses, a torn seating covers and several grimy surfaces.
Nuala said today: “It was hell and I felt like I was being released from prison the day we left.
“I’m an architect so I know a lot about standards and if that was in the UK it would have been condemned.
“One of my boys cried for the first five days it was so bad because they wanted to go home.”
She added: “We couldn’t really relax because our room was unsafe and disgusting – we had faulty electrics, threadbare and stained mattresses, brown fluid dripping from one of the air con units and the other held together with masking tape.
“We almost had an electrical fire when our adapter melted whilst drying my hair – the electrical burning smell filled the air.
“The pool was disgusting and one woman told me when she got home she discovered her swimsuit had turned green.”
A spokesman for TUI UK said: “We’re sorry to hear that the Finch family were unhappy with their holiday in Kos.
“The customers raised issues about the particular room type they had booked. The images of our rooms that we use online and in our brochures are up to date and are true reflections of the room types we feature.
“Our team in resort were always on hand to support the guests and when and when the customers raised their issues, our reps worked hard to quickly resolve these directly.
“We offered to move them to an alternative room and have also offered them a gesture of goodwill as an apology.”
Recently another family complained the branded the same hotel “FalTUI Towers” after chemicals in the pool turned her family’s hair green and made their skin flake.
The Hoi Family from London, claim their £6,000 holiday was ruined because of a “chemical imbalance” in the pool.