The programme has been revealed for the 10th annual MagicFest which takes place in Edinburgh between Christmas and New Year- and it’s going to be a cracker.
The line-up brings together top home grown and international talent from the world of magic and mind reading to offer dazzling entertainment for all ages.
This year Edinburgh International Magic Festival is moving from its usual summer dates to winter due to the tremendous popularity of the MagicFest Christmas Show which they have run for the past three years.
The festival takes place from 27 December to 5 January and the attractions include:
- The Opening Night Christmas Gala: An eclectic mix of the weird and the wonderful including Harthill-local-cum-Vegas-
headliner Colin Cloud and Magic Circle Young Magician of the Year Adam Black. Enjoy a multitude of breath-taking illusions from top magicians and the most talented newcomers.
- Hogmanay House: A magical “First Foot” adventure at Lauriston Castle – escape the dreich winter weather, join us for a dram or a hot chocolate and make merry as musicians, magicians and storytellers celebrate the magic and origins of Hogmanay. Featuring world-class card magician Lewis Barlow, singer/songwriter Ainsley Hamill, mind reader Drew McAdam, silver-tongued storyteller Jock Ferguson, and more.
- You Are Magic: Huge fun for children and families. A magic show conjured up from thin air where the audience become the stars – do you have the skill to saw someone in half and put them back together again? Packed with thrilling illusions, spooky mind reading, stunning sleight of hand, and death-defying escapes. Presented by the Magic Gareth and Michelle Ferguson and written by YouTube star Professor Richard Wiseman.Kevin Quantum “Anti-Gravity”: Enter a space where the rules of gravity are bent and broken. Impossible illusions and levitations in a show that mixes science, comedy and magic, brought to you by Scotland’s own magician-scientist hybrid Kevin Quantum. Winner of the “Best Magic” award at the Adelaide Fringe 2018.
- Comedy Magic Club: Have your mind blown and laugh yourself silly with the funniest, scariest, and freakiest, conjured for your delight in our magic comedy club for ages 16+. Featuring Elliot Bibby, Luke Eaton, Cammy Young, Cammy Gibson, Dan Bastianelli and special guests.
- Magic School: Now enrolling young sorcerers aged 7-10 can to learn magic tricks from professional magicians then astound your family and friends. Join a one-off sessions or a four-day course with a show for parents as the grand finale. Led by magician and Magic School headmaster Gary James.
- Tricky Ricky “Christmas Madness”: The four-times winner of Scottish ‘Children’s Entertainer of the Year’ Tricky Ricky takes you on a magical festive journey. Prepare to be amused and amazed in a fast-paced, nutty,?comedic and chaotic magic show for kids aged from 1 to 101!
- The Power of Perspective: An Exhibition of photographic Illusions presented by the Rock Trust, illusion expert Professor Richard Wiseman and MagicFest. Enjoy the illusions at the Scottish Storytelling Centre and then see how they were created at the Museum of Edinburgh.
Kevin Quantum, magician and festival organiser, said: “We’re so proud to unveil the 10th annual MagicFest and we think the line-up is the best yet – with mind-blowing entertainment over Christmas and Hogmanay.
“In fact, we hope it will help make this the most magical festive season ever in Scotland!
“We’ll have shows for adults and for families, plus our ever popular Magic School – which is just for kids. And the entertainment all comes courtesy of some of the most impressive magicians, illusionists and mind-readers.”
Svetlana McMahon, festival producer, added: “We’re particularly excited to unveil the new productions like Hogmanay House – a key event in Scotland’s Winter Festivals programme. It’s a chance to discover weird and wonderful Scottish traditions presented by magicians, musicians and storytellers while exploring the opulent rooms, secret passages and hidden chambers of Lauriston Castle.”