DRAMATIC video shows a caravan completely engulfed by flames after it was torched in a town street.
Firefighters are seen tackling the mass of flames as smoke as frightened residents looks on.
Locals in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, reported being woken by a “massive bang” this morning, giving children “the fright of their lives”.
Gail Chambers, 50, uploaded footage of the incident with the caption: “Bottom of Townhill Road, caravan set on fire.”
Little can be seen of the caravan itself which seems to be completely engulfed. As firefighters gradually succeed in tackling the flames, increasingly thick clouds of smoke rise above the wreckage.
Gail also posted footage of the aftermath which shows the burnt remains of the caravan.
Her post attracted multiple comments from concerned members of residents.
Jean McMillan said: “Idiots what if someone had decided to sleep in the caravan.”
Leigh Leggy Lyon commented: “That’s awful.”
Sandra Burns said: “Lucky that the fuel tank of the black car didn’t explode with the heat and the flames.”
Whilst Sharon Anderson commented: “Kids got the fright of their lives.”
Speaking today, Gail says residents have been “shocked” by the incident.
She said: “All the neighbours were absolutely shocked. [The flames] were higher than the second fire engine sitting behind the smoke. The heat at our windows was very hot.
“The fire has also damaged the taxi that was parked beside.
“We have nowhere to store our bins so they are constantly out the front and the kids steal a few every couple of nights and set them on fire just around the corner at the old bing.
“This was a totally different level we were all woken by a massive bang.
“The taxi parked next to it is damaged but the guy is so lucky it didn’t catch fire too.”
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “”Police were called to a report of a caravan on fire on Townhill Road in Hamilton around 1:40am on Thursday, 17 October.
“The incident is being treated as suspicious and enquiries are ongoing.
“Anyone with information can contact police on 101, quoting incident number 0210 of 17 October. ”
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service confirmed there were no injuries.
A spokeswoman said: “Two appliances attended the incident on Townhill Road, Hamilton at 01:36 this morning.
“The caravan was extinguished with two hoses and there were no reports of injuries.”