Inquiry date set for tragic cancer teen


Liz and Ken Norris outside the Health Practitioners hearing in October

By Cara Sulieman

A FATAL Accident Inquiry into the death of a teenage cancer sufferer blasted with 19 massive overdoses of radiation while being treated for a brain tumour will be held in the New Year.

Lisa Norris, 16, from Girvan, Ayrshire received 58 per cent more radiation than she should have, leaving her with burns to her neck, head and unable to continue the life-saving course.

The Procurator Fiscal has ruled that an inquiry into her death is scheduled to take place on March 8 2010 at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

The news comes just two months after the man who oversaw her treatment, Dr Stuart McNee was allowed to keep working, despite being responsible for mistakes on Lisa’s treatment plan.

But despite all misconduct charges being proven against him, the Health Professions Council ruled he could continue working.


Lisa’s parents – Ken, 53, and Liz, 52 – have fought for someone to take responsibility for the bungle since her death in October 2006.

Ken and Liz attended the hearing of the Conduct and Competence hearing for Dr McNee, and said afterwards that they were “disappointed”.

Dad Ken said: “I’m very disappointed that a man can do what he did and walk away from it.

“I was expecting him to at least get reprimanded for it.

“I expected him to be here so we could come face to face with him.

“No-one has taken responsibility for overdosing Lisa and as far as I’m concerned they have just white-washed it.

“It’s a travesty.

“We will still continue our fight against NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.”


Lisa was first diagnosed with the tumour in October 2005 and had been scheduled for 30 courses of treatment at the Beatson cancer centre in Glasgow which the otherwise healthy girl was expected to make a full recovery from.

Instead they were halted after the 19th when the error was discovered and she finally died from her condition in October 2006.

A report by cancer expert Professor Karol Sikora was commissioned by lawyers acting for the Norris family which concluded that had it not been for the bungled procedures, she would have had a better than average chance of living.

A section headed “Negligence” stated: “The radiotherapy clearly fell below any reasonable standard of care.”

Earlier this year it was revealed the Norris family had been granted legal aid so they could try and sue NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde over their daughter’s death at the Court of Session.

The action cannot go ahead until the FAI has been concluded.

See more of our pictures at our Flickr site and videos at our dedicated channel,  Deadline TV.