Police Quiz Colleague Over Missing Suzanne Pilley


By Cara Sulieman & Shaun Milne

A MARRIED man who had an affair with missing bookkeeper Suzanne Pilley was being quizzed by police over her disappearance today (fri).

Two detectives from the murder squad investigating her death spent around an hour in David Gilroy’s family home in Edinburgh.

Mr Gilroy’s wife Andrea left with their son Rhys in a blue Fiat Punto five minutes after the police arrived at the Silverknowes address just after 9am.

Around an hour later a calm looking Gilroy, dressed in beige trousers, pink shirt and smart brown sports jacket, was led to an unmarked car.

A police spokesman said that he was “helping with inquiries”.

Neighbours revealed police had carried out a search of the house the previous weekend and taken a number of items, including cardboard, were away. He was also interviewed before by detectives.

Mr Gilroy, who previously worked as both a facilities manager and as an equipment manager, was a colleague of Suzanne at Edinburgh-based firm Infrastructure Managers.

According to neighbours, Mr Gilroy moved out for a time to live with Suzanne at her address in the Whitson area of Edinburgh, where he was registered on the last electoral roll.

But he recently moved back in with midwife Andrea and their family, explaining his stay away as work related.

On Thursday police appealed for help tracking the movements of a silver coloured family car.

They centred that appeal around the Argyll forest area, believing it could lead them to where Suzanne’s body had been dumped on May 5.

They are now understood to have seized the suspect car involved – but still need to know where it went.


One neighbour said she recalled a silver-coloured car being parked in the driveway at Silverknowes before Mr Gilroy moved out.

Catriona Hutchison who lives next door with her mother Edna Cahill, said: “They’ve only got the one car now but for a long time there was a silver car that was parked outside there.

“I don’t really know what type of car it was, just a normal looking silver car.”

There was no sign of it at the address today. She added: “He seemed to have moved out for a while last summer, but moved back again just before Christmas.

“They always seemed like a nice family, just a normal family, which is why it was quite a shock when it came out that he had had an affair.

“I knew he had left for a while but I didn’t think that was why.


“I never really spoke to him but when I did he was always nice enough.

“They very much kept themselves to themselves but were pleasant enough when you did see them.

“She’s a nurse at the Western General hospital but I don’t know what he does.”

Mrs Hutchison added that the police had been at the house last Saturday.

She said: “There were police in white suits here on Saturday. They came in the afternoon and were there for a while, until the early evening probably.

“They came out with bits of cardboard and things like that. We had no idea what it was about until we saw it in the papers.”

A marked police car was posted outside the address yesterday within an hour of Mr Gilroy being taken away.

A stranger with keys later let himself into the house before leaving and disappearing into a nearby address, refusing to speak with waiting reporters.

Suzanne went missing on Tuesday May 4.

She made her usual trip to work aboard two buses, stopping at a Sainsbury’s store near her offices.

The only sighting after that was a grainy CCTV image showing she got as far as her office building on Thistle Street.

Police are now centring their investigation on forests in Argyll.

Suzanne’s parents Robert and Sylvia were being kept informed of developments, police said.

DO you know or work with Suzanne or David? If so please call our newsdesk – in confidence – on 0131 516 3433