Friday, July 1, 2022
1Killer soldier back in dock

Killer soldier back in dock

By Paul Thornton

Justin Fowler back in dock for failing to police about his movements
Fowler was ordered to pay a £500.

A KILLER soldier behind the death of a young holiday rep in Cyprus which led to British troops being banned from an island has appeared in court after breaking the terms of an order to inform police of his movements.

Justin Fowler, 42, along with fellow former Royal Green Jackets Allan Ford and Geoff Pernell kidnapped and tried to rape Louise Jensen before bludgeoning her to death with an army spade and burying her naked body in September 1994.

The 23-year-old’s battered body – which suffered 15 blows by from the weapon – had to be identified from a silver ring on her finger.

The killing of the Danish tour guide outraged locals and British troops were banned from the resort of Ayia Napa in the wake of the incident.

Despite refusing to give evidence at the trial in 1996, the three men were handed life sentences after being convicted of abduction, conspiracy to rape and manslaughter.

They claimed they were too drunk to know what they were doing.

And, to the fury of Louise’s father, the trio were released in August 2006 and returned to the United Kingdom after their sentences were reduced on appeal in 1998.

Fowler – now living in Edinburgh – was placed under strict rules by Lothian and Borders Police to tell them about his movements under the Sexual Offences Act.

But the former soldier jetted off to South Africa for a friend’s wedding without telling police after his family surprised him with air tickets.

He was caught when airport staff tipped-off officers about him boarding a connecting flight to Amsterdam in January this year.

After his return he was interviewed by police and explained that he had been in Johannesburg for the marriage.

And at Edinburgh Sheriff Court he was fined £500 for failing to comply with the notification requirements of the Sexual Offences Act.

Fiscal depute John Kirk told the court that Lothian and Borders Police told Fowler that they expected to be made aware of his movements in May 2008.

Mr Kirk said that towards the end of 2009 Fowler told officers that he was going to France in December that year, but took extra trips without updating them.

He said: “Some time into January 2010 the police received notification from staff in an airport that the panel had been on a flight to Amsterdam.

“He attended an interview with police on February 4 and explained that he was on a trip to South Africa for a wedding. He did not have the wherewithal to go but it appears that a relative provided the tickets at the last moment and had undertaken the trip.”

Fowler solicitor, Ross Gardiner, said that his client had lived with his mother in Cornwall after returning to the UK following his release.

Mr Gardiner added that after living for a time in Stoke on Trent he had moved to Edinburgh and got a job in Perth, making around £1,000 per month.

The solicitor said: “The facts are not in dispute, this was an error on his part.

“His mother has indicated to me that she bought the ticket for him as a surprise as he had done very well in turning his life around.

“He returned home (from France) to find these tickets in the post, he had not been given any forewarning by his family.”

Sheriff Isabella McColl said that it appeared to be “exceptional circumstances” and fined him £500.

She said: “There is a small element of fault. This was an oversight on his part.

“It is quite an exceptional matter of this kind, I’m going to fine you £500.”

Fowler, of Calder View, Edinburgh, was ordered to pay the fine at £50 per month.

Related Stories