Edinburgh Capitals suffer from Devil of a time



Match Report: Andrew Reeves

The Cardiff Devils were welcomed to Edinburgh on Sunday evening following a 5 – 2 victory over the Edinburgh Capitals in Cardiff on the previous evening.

Would the Scots be able to make a comeback?

The Devils fell behind after just two minutes with a goal by Edinburgh Capitals Chris St. Jacques, with the assist by Capitals’ captain, Martin Cingel.

Despite the Capitals’ continued pressure on the Devils’ goal, no goals were forthcoming.

And it was the Devils who went on to equalise at eight minutes 28 seconds with a goal by Craig Weller, with assists by Max Birbrear and Scott Matzka.

Just under two minutes later the Devils’ goal scorer Craig Weller received a two minute penalty for tripping.

The Capitals went on the power play .

But just before the penalty came to an end the Devils pulled a short-handed goal by Jon Pelle, with assist by Scott Matzka and Mark Smith.

2-1 to the Cardiff Devils as the first period came to an end.

The Cardiff Devils flew straight out of the trap in period two and the play was fast, furious and end to end.

Capitals’ number 5, Kyle Horne put in a stonking block to a shot from Devils Ryan Finnerty.

He kept up the pressure but with great blocks from Capitals’ net minder, Scott Reid, he came away frustrated.

Capitals’ Chris St Jacques was becoming increasingly annoyed with the match officials over what he saw as repeated bad line calls.

Devils’ Ryan Finnerty looked increasingly looking for a fight.

However it was Capitals’ Evan Schafer and Devils’ Brad Voth who eventually squared up, although nothing cames of it.

Then out of nowhere the Devils’ Tylor Michel scores on the power play, with assists by Ryan Finnerty and Kenton Smith.

Cardiff Devils received a bench penalty served by Sam Smith for having too many men on the ice and then moments later the Devils’ Phil Hill receive a two minute penalty for tripping leading to a major pile up in the Edinburgh goal mouth.

The second period finishesd3 – 1 to the Cardiff Devils.

The third period started badly with four of the Devils players wrapped up in the Cardiff goal with their own net minder.

Moments later the Capitals’ Jeff Hutchins slipped and also piled into the Cardiff net minder.

The Cardiff players all grouped around Hutchins but the match officials stood up to them and calm was restored.

Then just 16 seconds separate two goals, one for each team.

Capitals’ Alex Kim, scored first with assists by Martin Cingel and Jeff Hutchins and then Scott Matzka fired one back for the Devils with assists by Jon Pelle and Max Birbrear.

Then followed 90 seconds of furious action.

First Capitals’ Jacques Perrault receivesda two minute penalty for delaying the game.

A mere 30 seconds later Devils Jon Pelle received a two minute penalty for goalie interference.

These two penalties were then followed by the Cardiff Devils’ fifth goal, scored by Ryan Finnerty with assists by Phil Hill and Craig Weller.

The Capitals got the final score with their third goal of the night, scored by Evan Schafer, with assists by Chris St. Jacques and Adam Taylor.

An action packed match ended 5-3 to the Cardiff Devils.

A great effort though by the Edinburgh Capitals, Edinburgh’s ice hockey team based at Murrayfield ice rink.

Andrew Reeves