Thursday, May 26, 2022
NewsScottish NewsWhite van found submerged in harbour

White van found submerged in harbour

Police were called to the scene at 6.30am where they found the van in the water

POLICE are today (Thu) investigating the ultimate in bad white van driving after a vehicle smashed through two sets of  railings and plunged into a city harbour.

Amazed passers-by reported the find at 6.30am after the van – still on its wheels –  was spotted in the water at Newhaven Harbour, Edinburgh.

When police arrived on the scene they found the van still floating upright.

But it wasn’t until the tide went out that they were able to have a look inside the van and found nothing there.

Fire and ambulance crews were stood down after no-one was found.

The van did not look extensively damaged with only the front smashed and railings stuck to the bumper.

Locals were all mystified at how the van ended up there and one even speculated that the driver’s sat nav may have led him in the wrong direction.

Others thought that someone pushed the van into the water but some believed that there had to have been somebody in the van and even speculated that it was joy riders.

Sarah Whitby, 46, who lives nearby on Newhaven Main Street, said: “I saw it about 8am and the water was halfway up the van. Someone told me that when the police got here the van was full of water.

“I don’t know how quick anyone got here but the ambulance was here for quite a while. I don’t know how they are going to get it out. That will be interesting.”

And Debbie Forrester, 46, added: “I really don’t believe someone has pushed that because how do you get it through railings.

“It had to have come off the road at some speed.”

Another local commented: “If no-one was in it then it’s an act of vandalism.”

Police closed off part of Pier Place in Edinburgh while investigations were carried out but the road was open again at around 8.30am.

But a cordon still remained around parts of the harbour and around six police cars and a van where on scene with at least ten officers surrounding the area.

A police spokeswoman said that they had to wait until the tide went out but did not find anyone in the van.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesman said: “After and initial search of the van no persons were found inside. After that the ambulance and fire service were stood down.

“It was then handed over to the police and is now a police matter.”

Related Stories