Thursday, June 30, 2022
NewsCourt & CrimeCrime Scotland - September 28

Crime Scotland – September 28

Police are investigating a number of incidents



A WOMAN has died following a car crash in Fife.


HEROIN worth £25,000 has been seized in Fife.

The drugs were found after police stopped a vehicle travelling between Glenrothes and Leven at around 3.50pm yesterday (tues).

A 38-year-old East Wemyss man will be appearing from custody today at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court charged with offences under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

Deputy Head of Road Policing Inspector Brenda Sinclair, said: “We are committed to denying drug users access to Fife’s roads. Fife Constabulary is committed to creating safer communities in Fife by tackling drug offences and targeting those involved in such serious and organised crime to both reduce supply and the associated harm caused by drug abuse.

“This action makes it clear to drug dealers and others involved in this type of criminality that we are committed to using all available resources to target, disrupt and detect those determined to cause significant harm within our communities.”


MORE than 20 cars have been attacked by vandals in Cowdenbeath.

The vehicles were parked in the Netherton Road, Craigbeath Court and Johnston Park areas of the town when they were attacked in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The paintwork of the vehicles was deeply scored and a number were marked with distinctive drawings.

The cost of repair will run into thousands of pounds.

Police are now looking to speak to two teenagers who were seen in the area.

Local Area Chief Inspector Ross Bennet who is directing the investigation, said: “I have numerous officers looking into these wilful and reckless acts.  We are following a number of lines of enquiry and are keen to trace two teenagers wearing hooded tops and riding bicycles in the area at the time.

“I will ensure that all potential enquiries are followed up to identify those responsible.  I am also asking for public assistance. If any person has seen these teenagers or knows who they are I would urge them to get in touch with the police.”

“These vehicles have been distinctively marked. Using this information and that gathered from other lines of enquiry, our award winning Operation Crack-it procedures are in place to help track down those responsible.  Continued and extensive CCTV enquiries from all sources are ongoing. I would like to inform those who have committed these crimes that I will not stop enquiry into these wanton offences and remain committed to bringing them to justice.

“Action in the Cowdenbeath area has lead to a 20% drop in vandalism and I am confident that someone will come forward and assist by providing information.

“Please call us with any information on 0845 600 5702 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 where all calls are treated anonymously.”


POLICE archives in Fife stretching back 140 years went online today (Wed).


A MAN missing from Dorset has been found safe and well in Dalkeith.


MEDICATION has been stolen from an Edinburgh Parmacy.

Police believe the store, on Niddrie Mains Road, was targeted sometime overnight between Tuesday and early Wednesday morning.

About 2.45am two men were seen on Wauchope Road carrying plastic bags, and one of them has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

The 37-year-old man is due to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court tomorrow (Thurs).

The other man did not stop, however, and police are appealing for any witnesses to come forward to assist with inquiries. He is described as being white, and wearing a hooded top.

The medication from the alleged break-in has still not been recovered, and police are urging members of the public they can prove to be very dangerous if not taken exactly as prescribed.

A police spokesperson said: “We are urging anyone who knows where this medication may be, or who might have it, to hand it in to police as a matter of urgency, as it can prove deadly if not taken as intended.”

Anyone with information should contact Lothian and Borders Police on 0131 311 3131, or the charity Crimestoppers in confidence and complete anonymity on 0800 555 111.


A MAN required stitches to his head after being struck by a missile on a night out.

The 21-year-old had been heading home after a night out about 3am when something struck him on the head when he was at the corner of South St David’s Street and Rose Street.

He did not see who attacked him, but suffered a cut to his head that required stitches at hospital.

CCTV inquiries are ongoing, but the man did not see what was thrown, or who threw it, so police are appealing for anyone who may have been in the area and seen what happened to contact them.

A police spokesman said: “This appears to have been an entirely unprovoked assault on a young man that’s left him with a permanent scar on his forehead.

“Right now inquiries are ongoing to establish exactly what has happened to this man.

“We know there would have been a few people in the area leaving nightclubs after a night out, so we are appealing for them to get in touch if they saw this man being attacked.

“They can either contact us directly on 0131 311 3131, or through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


Eleven football fans have been arrested during dawn raids in Edinburgh and the Lothians.


POLICE are appealing to a man who got off a bus at the Wellington lay-by at Lochend on the A82 on Monday night to get in touch to confirm he is safe and well.

He asked the driver of the 8:15pm service from Inverness to Drumnadrochit to let him off the bus at the lay-by after complaining of feeling unwell on Monday night.

The driver waited and asked him if he was ok and the man told him he was fine and to carry on his journey. There were around 12 other passengers on the bus at the time, some of whom saw the man climb over a wall and head towards the edge of Loch Ness.

The driver contacted Police upon arriving at his destination and officers, including a search dog, attended at the roundabout. Searches were carried out in the area, but there was no trace of the man.

Police would now like the person who got off the bus on Monday night to contact them to ensure his safety and wellbeing.

There are currently no missing persons reported to Police fitting the man’s description. He is described as being in his early 20s, 5ft 8 ins, is of slim build and was carrying a small red and black rucksack. He may also have been wearing trainers, jeans and a white t-shirt with red on it.


POLICE are anxious to trace the whereabouts of Kevin Shearer, 48, who is missing from an address in Wick.

He was last seen on 24 September 2011. Mr Shearer is described as being over 6ft, of slim build and has a shaven head. He was last seen wearing jeans and a red jacket.


POLICE are appealing for information after the body of a man was found this morning (wed).

A member of the public made the grisly discovery just before 8am on the walkway to the River Clyde, near to Dalmarnock Bridge, Dalmarnock Road, Glasgow.

A post mortem is due to take place to establish the cause of his death but at this time police are treating his death as suspicious.

Detective Superintendent John McGovern, Major Investigation Team, said today: “As the moment we do not know who the man is. He is described as white, 25 to 35 years of age, of slim build, and has a tattoo on his left ring finger.  He was wearing a red or maroon Henley t-shirt and black trainers with sky blue laces.

“Do you recognise this description? Do you know what happened here? Have you any information that will help police with the investigation?”


TWO café workers foiled an attempted robbery by armed thieves last night (tues).

The male and female staff members of the Beanscene Cafe, Skirving Street, Glasgow were closing up for the night when the men strauck.

The final customer of the day, a 46-year-old man, was leaving the shop with the male member of staff.  When they reached the door of the shop, two men – one with a baseball bat and the other with a bladed weapon – tried to force their way inside the cafe.

The customer and the staff member managed to get back into the shop and lock the door behind them.  The two suspects then made off empty handed towards Deanston Drive.

The staff and customer were unharmed but have obviously been left very shaken by their ordeal. The first suspect is described as a white, Scottish male. He is around 21-25 years old, approximately 5ft 10inches tall with a thin build.  He is also described as having a long prominent nose. At the time of the attempted robbery, he was wearing a light-coloured hooded top, a dark scarf and light tracksuit bottoms.

The second suspect is also described as a white, Scottish male. He is around 21-25 years old, about 5ft 8inches tall with a stocky build. At the time of the robbery he was wearing a dark-coloured hooded top.

Speaking today from Govan CID Detective Constable Colin Murphy said:“Thankfully, neither the staff nor the customer were injured in this blatant attempt to steal from the café.

“I would appeal to anyone who was around Skirving Street in Shawlands around 2230 hours and may have seen two men hanging around to contact me as soon as possible.”


A WOMAN has suffered serious injury in a sexual assault in Glasgow.

The 28-year-old had just left a bus on Burnbank Road at around 9pm on Saturday.

As she crossed the road at the traffic lights into Ann Court, she was approached by a man.

The man put his arm around her and held a bladed weapon to her face. He then indecently assaulted her before she was able to break free from his grasp and make her way to her home address.

The woman was taken, by a friend, to Hairmyres Hospital where she was treated for severe facial injuries sustained during the attack.

The man is described as between 5ft 7inches and 5ft 8inches tall, has a medium build, and was wearing a red jumper.

Detective Constable Edward Mather of Hamilton CID is dealing with this enquiry. He said: “This was a very frightening ordeal indeed for the female involved, who received severe injuries to her face that will most probably lead to permanent scarring.

“The Burnbank Road area is a very busy road, with both motorists and pedestrians, so I would appeal to anyone who may have seen someone fitting the description of the male. It is imperative we trace this male.

“Indeed, I would like to speak to anyone who may have information or who may have witnessed suspicious activity by a male around the Burnbank Road or Ann Court area.”


A SEX offender is being hunted by police after going missing from his Dunoon home.


A WOMAN has been sexually assaulted as she walked home from a night out.

The 19-year-old was pushed to the ground by a man as she walked along Watson Street, Glasgow at around 2am on September 21.

The man was disturbed by a passer-by and was last seen heading off in the direction of Parsonage Square.

The man is described as being aged between mid to late 20s and around 6ft tall with a slim build. He had collar length dark hair and was wearing a dark woollen hat. He was also described as wearing a black bomber-style jacket and dark trousers.

Detective Constable Richard McAvoy is dealing with this enquiry. He said: “Understandably, this was a very frightening experience for the young woman involved who was simply returning home from a night out with friends.

“Our initial enquiries have revealed that whilst the attack took place, a black Hackney type taxi was seen driving on Watson Street, and it would appear that the taxi slowed down as it passed the woman and the suspect. The taxi did have passengers on board, and I would be keen to speak to the driver and the occupants.

“I would like to reassure members of the community that we are working hard to identify the person responsible, but would urge anyone with information to get in touch with myself or my colleagues at London Road police office on 0141 532 4600.”


POLICE are treating an assault in the Tollcross area of Glasgow as attempted murder.

A 33-year-old man was repeatedly stabbed after he and a 27-year-old friend were confronted by two men at around 10.45pm on Friday.

The pair were walking Braidfauld Street when they were confronted by two men who then chased them along Braidfauld Street and into Downfield Street.

The 33-year-old fell and was set upon by his attackers.

His 27-year-old friend managed to flee unharmed.

The 27-year-old man returned to find his injured friend and alerted the emergency services.

The injured man was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary where he is currently being treated for his injuries. Hospital staff describe his injuries as serious but stable.

Detective Constable James Fingland at Shettleston said today: “This would appear to be a vicious, unprovoked attack on a man which has left him with serious injuries.

“Officers are currently examining CCTV footage and making door-to-door enquiries in the area in an attempt to establish the full circumstances of this incident.

“I’d like to speak to anyone who was in the vicinity around 10.45pm on Friday 23 September and may have witnessed this attack or even saw the victim being chased by the two suspects.”

The assailants are described as around 5ft 8 to 5ft 9 and of medium build. They were wearing dark clothing.


POLICE at Drumchapel are continuing enquiries following a robbery at a shop in Knightswood, Glasgow, on Saturday 24 September 2011.

Around 5.35am on Saturday 24 September 2011, a 42-year-old man was working within the Knightswood Mini-Market, Archerhill Road, Knightswood, when three masked men entered the shop.

The men threatened the shopkeeper with knives and demanded money from him. They ran out of the shop with a four-figure sum of cash and a quantity of cigarettes. They were last seen heading towards Langley Avenue.

The shopkeeper was not injured during the incident but left very traumatised.

Detective Sergeant Sandy Johnston at Drumchapel CID would like to speak to anyone who may have information that could help identify the three suspects. He would like to speak to anyone who may have seen them hanging around outside the shop prior to the robbery taking place or anyone who saw them running from the shop towards Langley Avenue.


POLICE are appealing for information following a suspicious fire in Kilmarnock on Saturday 24 September 2011.

Around 8.20pm, police received a report of a fire at Wyndford Garage scrap yard in Kilmaurs Road, Kilmarnock. Emergency services attended and found a number of cars, due to be crushed, on fire; the damage is estimated to be around £50,000.

No-one was within the premises at the time.

Enquiries are continuing into establishing the exact cause of the fire, however, at this time it does appear to be suspicious and detectives in Kilmarnock have launched an investigation.

Detective Sergeant William McDicken from Kilmarnock CID said: “Fortunately, no-one was at the location, however, a number of cars have been damaged. There appears to be no motive for this and any information would be extremely helpful at this time.

“The property is well known within the local community and I would ask anyone who lives locally, who perhaps may have seen or heard something suspicious, to get in touch with us.”


A MAN has been charged with murder following the death of Joanne Rennie in Arbroath.


Related Stories