Evacuation after explosion scare

The fire was reported in Magdalene Gardens.

A BURNING wheelie bin risked causing a gas explosion at a block of flats in Edinburgh last night.

The bin, which was placed against a building containing six flats, ruptured a gas intake.

The gas leak prompted an evacuation of the building, after fire crews rushed to the scene just after 11pm.

A 68-year-old man required treatment at the scene by ambulance crews for smoke inhalation and shock but was not taken to hospital.

The fire service also gave assitance to residents fleeing the gas leak in Magdalene Gardens.

A Lothian and Borders fire service spokeswoman said: “Fire crews used four breathing aparatus to help extinguish the fire.”

The spokeswoman said there was a risk of an explosion.

The emergency services battled with the leak for just under two hours, but were able to seal off the gas mains and extinguish the fire by 12.46am.

The Red Cross also attended the scene.