Friday, July 1, 2022
NewsScottish NewsGym-goer collapses - in room full of nurses

Gym-goer collapses – in room full of nurses

Four nurses were exercising at the Dunfermline gym when the man collapsed (file picture)

THE life of a gym-goer was saved after he collapsed – in a room full of exercising nurses.

The heart attack victim was working out at a health club in Fife, accompanied by four nurses, three of whom work in the same ward.

As soon as the man collapsed, the nurses sprang in to action, keeping him alive using CPR and a defibrillator until an ambulance arrived.

The patient was then transported to the nurses’ own hospital, Queen Margaret, Dunfermline.

A defibrillator donated to the club seven years ago by a heart charity was used during the emergency at Bannatyne’s Health Club at Fife Leisure Park.

The man, who has not been named, is said to be recovering.

Queen Margaret staff nurse Heather Bryson was having a work-out in the gym with ward colleagues Katharine Sharpe and Ciara Grealis when the man collapsed.

Also in the gym at the time was a fourth nurse from the Queen Margaret and another health professional.

Heather said: “We were all in the gym when we saw the commotion and a lot of people around the man.

“It just so happened that he collapsed and there were five of us at the gym at the time. We all took turns doing CPR. There were loads of people there.


“We used the defibrillator. The sweat was stopping the pads from sticking. He got shocked twice and it probably helped. It was the shock that the paramedic gave him that worked and got him breathing again.

“You replay it over in your head. We’ve talked about it all the time to make sure we did everything we could. It was just a big relief when he made it.

“I went to see him in hospital and he’s doing well. He’s a lucky man.”

Katharine said, “It was good that there were a few of us because one person couldn’t have kept it up alone until the ambulance arrived.

Ciara Grealis and her nursing colleagues sprang into action to save the man's life

The man was most likely stabilised as CPR – cardiopulmonary resuscitation- prevents brain damage occurring when a patient stops breathing.

The procedure also prolongs the chances for breathing to be restored through applying shock through the defibrillator.

Scott Niven, the club’s general manager, said, “Our team of trained first aiders came to the member’s aid quickly and efficiently and were assisted by a group of members including health care professionals who were very supportive in the time before the ambulance arrived.

“I want to thank these members for their efforts.

“This was a perfect example of the community atmosphere at the health club.

“We wish the gentleman well with his recovery and look forward to welcoming him back to the club.”

The defibrillator, which helped saved the man’s life, was donated to the club in September 2004 to use across Fife Leisure Club.

The life-saving equipment was donated by the Scottish HART (Heart at Risk Testing), a charity set up to tackle deaths from cardiac disorders.

The charity was founded by Wilma Gunn, who lost her son 20 years ago when he collapsed while playing football.

She said: “I’m very pleased to hear that the gentleman is recovering and I wish him all the best. Maybe I’ll meet him one day.

“I’ve been talking to Bannatyne’s and I hope we can replace the defibrillator soon with a new one soon.

“We have put defibrillators all acrossScotland-at Pittodrie, the top ofBen Nevisand we have two in some towns in the Borders.

“It’s amazing the number of times they’ve been used. Sometimes lives are lived and sometimes sadly not. It’s coming up to 20 years since my son died and its devastated lives.”


Related Stories