Triumphant Hearts parade through city


JUBILANT Hearts fans packed out Edinburgh’s streets as the team paraded their newly-won trophy through the city.

After their 5-1 victory over rivals Hibs in the Scottish cup final, more than 100,000 fans turned out to watch the team set off through

The victorious team was taken through Edinburgh in an open-topped bus specially painted for the historic event.

The team took to an open-topped bus to parade through the city


Hundreds greeted the bus as it set off from outside the City Chambers on the Royal Mile, travelling through the city to Tynecastle Stadium in Gorgie.

Driving the bus was Shine Tom Varghese, 32, who pulled the lucky shift to drive the victorious team through the city.

Beaming with pride as he waited for the team to board the bus, Shine was tasked with ferrying the victorious team to their home ground.

He said: “It’s great. I never thought this would happen, it’s like a dream come true.”

But Shine wasn’t able to see the big match live, as many of the fans who turned out for the parade decked in maroon did.

He said: “Sadly I didn’t get to go through on the day.”

Shine Tom Varghese got to drive the team through the city


Brian Rennie, 56, had his two Siberian Samoyed dogs Jared and Keiko on the Royal Mile wearing Hearts shirts to greet the team.

Brian, a proud Jambo who lives in Hibs heartland of Leith, said: “The dogs didn’t howl when Hearts scored the fifth goal, but I did!”

Gimme a Jambone: Brian Rennie's dogs were in maroon for the big day


As the team boarded the bus outside the city chambers, they were met with a huge cheer from the packed  pavements.

Manager Paolo Sergio held the trophy aloft, and had fans singing his name fans singing his name.

The fans gave special applause toRudi Skacel, who scored twice in Saturday’s cup final.

The team then led fans in singing and chanting, jumping up and down and rocking the Lothian Bus, only painted in maroon the afternoon before, on its axels.

Huge crowds followed the bus as it continued through Edinburgh, with police reporting the crowd had grown to 10,000 by the time it had reached Dalry.

The crowd grew and grew as the bus approached Tynecastle, with police estimating a crowd of 100,000 people watching the victory celebrations.

Police also praised fans’ behaviour throughout the cup final weekend.

Chief Superintendent Gill Imery, Divisional Commander for the City of Edinburgh said: “With Edinburgh’s two professional teams facing each other in a major cup final, worldwide attention focused on Edinburgh, Glasgow and the fans and organisations associated with the match.

“I am delighted by the manner in which members of the public conducted themselves.

“Both sets of fans were a credit to themselves and their clubs as they travelled to and from Glasgow and while they watched the match, either within the stadium, at home or in licensed premises.”