Raith Rovers skipper Jason Thomson desperate to avoid another bad break after return from fractured back



Jason Thomson insists he is not going to allow a suspected broken nose keep him out of action for Raith Rovers after returning from over three months out with a fractured bone in his back.

The Stark’s Park skipper was a second-half substitute in Saturday’s 2-2 draw away to Falkirk as he made his first appearances since October 31.

(Pic: Ladbrokes)
(Pic: Ladbrokes)

It has been a frustrating spell for the former Hearts defender and he was in the wars again after sustaining a facial injury against the Bairns.

The 28-year-old had to receive treatment off the pitch and was then prevented from returning to the action because of a bloody shirt as Rovers held on in the closing stages.

However, Thomson is adamant he is now back in the team to stay.

He said: “It’s been very tough. It’s first time I’ve really been injured since I came to the club and it’s actually been harder than I thought it would be to try and get back in.

“It’s been a right pain in the a**e, to be honest. I just needed time to let the bone to heal.

“It’s not like an arm or a leg, where you can put a stookie on it and help it. With a back, it’s moving every day, with everything you’re doing.

“It’s been a bit of a long slog but I’ve got back in the end and I’ve got back involved.

“Having been out for so long with a broken back I’m going to try not to let my nose keep me out now.


“Ultimately, it comes down to the physio and you need to be sensible enough.

“But if it is broken I think you can get that sorted at the end of the season, as long as I can breathe through the nostrils.”

Thomson confessed he was concerned for his hard-pressed team-mates as the clock clicked down against Falkirk.

Kyle Benedictus had been red-carded with seven minutes remaining so Rovers were left with just eight outfield players as Thomson tried to re-enter the fray

“I think I had three or four strips on at one time,” he added as he explained the attempts to clean him up. “The first linesman said I could go on but we couldn’t get it to stop bleeding.

“Eventually we managed to get it to stop, but by that stage there was only about a minute left.

“They put a lot of pressure on us. I had to watch the free-kicks and corners, but the boys dealt with it well and we got a well-deserved draw.”