Terrifying moment man unleashes terror on high street with barrage of fireworks


TERRIFYING video shows the moment a man turned a high street into a war zone by releasing a barrage of fireworks.

CCTV footage captured Norman Wood lighting a pile of fireworks which exploded and sparked across Broad Street in Kirkwall, Orkney, sending plumes of smoke into the street.

The rockets burst and flashed barely feet away from people passing by – and at one point bounced off the wheel of a car.

No-one was injured in the incident, despite the area being busy at the time and numerous people being feet away on the pavement.

Wood, from Orkney, has been sentenced to six months’ imprisonment for “misuses of fireworks” after he unleashed terror on December 30.

Orkney police dubbed the man’s actions “reckless” and said it was “fortunate” that no-one was injured.

The minute-long clip begins on a busy street, across from St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall on a busy Saturday afternoon.

Wood can be seen staggering in the corner of the footage, carrying what appears to be a paper bag.

A lighter can be seen flickering in Wood’s hand as he tries to light the fireworks.

Within moments smoke can be seen billowing from the bag as Wood turns away from the camera.

As he walks towards members of the public further up the road, a bright red firework explodes to his left.

A barrage of fireworks explode across the street, with one bouncing off the front tyre of a car turning into the road.

In the corner of the screen, one firework can be seen barely missing a man crossing the road carrying his shopping – missing him by inches.

The man has to duck and rushes across the street to safety, while fireworks continue to explode around him and smoke fills the street and clouds the camera.

Despite the chaos going on around him, Wood appears unfazed and walks out into the street – even as one firework explodes underneath his legs.

Wood appears unfazed as fireworks explode around him

Wood pled guilty to setting off fireworks in a culpable and reckless manner, and was sentenced to six months imprisonment at Kirkwall Sheriff Court on Wednesday (JAN 10).

Orkney area commander, Chief Inspector Matt Webb, said: “Norman Wood’s actions were entirely reckless and it is fortunate that nobody was injured as a result.

“I’m grateful for the support of the public, which helped lead to Norman Wood’s conviction. It is a good example of officers working in partnership with the public to help keep Orkney safe.

“Fireworks can be incredibly dangerous when not used safely and the consequences of his behaviour could have been far more severe.

“We will not tolerate the misuse of fireworks and will take action against anyone who sets them off in a reckless manner.

“Do not set off fireworks under the influence of alcohol and do not set them off in a public place – this is an offence which we will deal with robustly.”