GRUESOME pictures show how a pet dog was ripped open to the muscle after simply running through a field of grass.
Sky is thought to have suffered her horrific injuries after colliding with broken glass or jagged metal discarded and hidden in the grass.
Her owner, mum of one Sammy Jo McKenzie, shared the pictures online as a warning to other dog walkers.
Sammy, 18, was took her four-year-old staffie-collie cross for a walk on Monday and ended up rushing the pet to a vet’s for four hours of surgery, likely to cost thousands of pounds.
She posted: “We took Sky out for a walk and let her off the leash where she ran straight through the grass and at some point she was cut on her chest right down to the muscle.
“She was lucky it didn’t go through to the bone. We took her straight to the vet where she went for an emergency operation and got multiple stitches.
“She is now home and in her own bed with antibiotics and painkillers.”
Speaking today, Sammy Jo described the ordeal she went through and hwo dangerous the site could be.
She said: “I broke down completely, all I did was cry.
“She is very lucky to be here, considering how many stitches she had to get.
“The vet refused to tell me how many stitches she had, but it was obviously a lot.
“People walk past the field with young kids all the time.
“If things had gone worse, I would’ve taken it to court. I’ve contacted the environment task force, so hopefully they are going to do something about it.”