Elderly lady taken to hospital after fire starts in kitchen


By Christine Lavelle

AN elderly woman was treated in hospital after a fire broke out in the kitchen of her home in Edinburgh.

Fire fighters were called to the scene at around 1.40am today (Mon) at Inverleith Row, where they extinguished the cooker-fire on arrival.

The 74-year-old was taken to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh where she was being treated for smoke inhalation.

A Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “We got the call just before 1.40am, to a small fire on a cooker.

“It was put out on arrival, and the woman was taken by ambulance to Edinburgh’s Royal Infirmary.”